James Cook University Singapore invites applicants for the position of post-doctoral research fellow in tourism. The successful applicant will be based at the Singapore campus and will work with colleagues in both Singapore and Australia. The position is new and aligns with the overall research directions of the campus which are directed towards expanding research capacity and performance in industries relevant to the tropics.
Applications are welcomed from those who have completed their PhD or expect to have their PhD completed in early 2019. Applicants in their final year of study who have not submitted their work for examination will not be considered. It is hoped that the successful candidate can take up the role early in 2019.
It is expected that at the beginning of the fellowship the applicant will work with staff members in Singapore and in Australia building publication productivity on existing research themes. These themes include:
- Studying new and emerging markets for Australia and in the ASEAN region
- Managing tourist behaviour in Asian cities including studies of vandalism, scams and cross-cultural contact
- Tourism’s contribution to community well-being, including examining the role of festivals and events
In applying for the position, candidate’s should document their publication profile and skills to support future publishing, their willingness to work with others across countries, familiarity with the themes of the ongoing work, and experience in linking with tourism organisations and businesses.
· Conduct of research independently or as a member of a team and the production of published works in refereed journals, books, conference and seminar papers.
· Supervision of research support and technical staff in relevant research projects.
· Financial management of research projects.
· Preparation of submissions for external research funding.
· Involvement in professional activities, including contributions such as conferences and seminars in the field of expertise.
· Primary or co-advisor of honours and postgraduate students in area of expertise and examination of honours and postgraduate theses.
· Contributions to teaching programs in area of expertise consistent with the conditions of the award. Appointee to the position will be expected to teach one related subject into the academic program
· Contribution to the research culture, intellectual activities and outputs of the work unit and relevant research centres, institutes, clusters or groups.
Key Selection Criteria for appointment as Tourism Research Fellow
· A PhD (or completion early 2019) in Tourism or a related discipline.
· An active research agenda within tourism and a substantial publication record relative to career stage.
· Success in obtaining research funding relevant to career-stage.
· Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relations with colleagues in an academic environment and with people from diverse backgrounds, including the communication and engagement skills necessary to build and maintain relationships with industry and other external actors.
· Evidence of quality supervision of higher degree research students and quality teaching of undergraduates will be advantageous.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Enquiries: Associate Professor Abhishek Bhati, Campus Dean; Tel: +65 6709710, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment type: Two year full-time with possibility of reappointment subject to performance and Ministry of Manpower Singapore jurisdiction and probationary period.
Remuneration and conditions: The position commands an appropriate remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. All employment salary arrangements are offered in Singapore currency. SGD77 000 per annum – SGD109 000 per annum.
Method of Application
Applications MUST provide all of the following:
1. An up-to-date CV including research record (publications, research grants, post-graduate supervision history)
2. A full statement of qualifications
3. A statement systematically addressing all the Selection Criteria
4. Teaching profile and recent teaching evaluations (if available)
5. Publications of note
6. A completed Summary Application Form
Applications without any of the above will not be considered.