The Singapore campus of James Cook University is fully owned by James Cook University Australia, which is ranked in the top 2%* of universities in the world. James Cook University Australia established its Singapore campus in 2003 as part of its expressed intent of internationalising its activities and offers a suite of university level programs at the Singapore campus covering the areas of Business, Information Technology, Psychology, Education, Accounting, Arts, Aquaculture, Environmental Science, Games Design, Tourism, Hospitality, and Healthcare.
The Singapore campus of James Cook University provides a friendly, international, and inclusive working environment. At any time, there are students on campus from at least 40 different countries, mainly from the region, but also including a growing cohort from Europe. Singapore is an interesting place to live and provides easy access to other countries in the region. The position offers the successful applicant the opportunity to expand their cultural experience, and live in a fascinating and exciting city.
James Cook University Singapore’s School of Social and Health Sciences offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in the areas of psychology, education, and guidance and counselling. The University also offers Higher Degree by Research programs such as Doctor of Philosophy and Master of Philosophy.
The School is seeking to appoint a Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, or Associate Professor of Counselling to oversee the Master of Guidance and Counselling (MGC) programme in Singapore, while also making significant contributions to both teaching and research. The appointee will manage and coordinate academic aspects of the MGC, while engaging in curriculum development and quality assurance activities. The appointee will also teach into the MGC while developing and maintaining a strong research contribution in counselling.
Counselling in Singapore is developing and the role provides enormous potential for career development and a unique opportunity to assist in this development in Singapore and into other parts of the region. Singapore is distinctly multicultural and the position provides an exciting platform to further develop your skills in working across cultures. The University has excellent links with local industry partners to enhance collaboration opportunities.
Please visit http://www.jcu.edu.sg or http://www.jcu.edu.au for more information.
- Contribute through teaching the Master of Guidance and Counselling course
- Administer course assessment and provide written evaluative and formative feedback on student work in timely manner
- Report to and maintain positive relationships with subject-coordinators
- Provide support and consultancy to students on practicum and coursework-matters
- Develop and maintain active research program
- Supervise postgraduate research projects
- Build and sustain partnerships in community for JCUS practicum placements
- Ensure all operations accord with established JCUS procedures, policies and established practices
- Engage in marketing activities that occur
- Advise and support MGC alumni network
- Ad-hoc duties as determined by JCUS management
Key Selection Criteria
- PhD in counselling or closely related discipline
- Current membership of the Singapore Association for Counselling (or equivalent association) or willing and eligible to become a member
- Experience in counselling and understanding of contemporary issues in Guidance and Counselling
- Evidence of quality teaching and supervision of postgraduate students
- Ability to teach across range of subjects at postgraduate level
- Substantial publication record relative to career stage and success in obtaining research funding
- Demonstrated capacity to undertake administrative duties consistent with the postgraduate program’s growth and development
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in team
Desirable Selection Criteria
- Ability to forge strong collaborative links with practicum-supervisors
- Contribute to growth of profession in region
Enquiries: Dr Jonathan Ramsay, Academic Head Social and Health Sciences: email@example.com
Employment type: Fulltime position subject to Ministry of Manpower Singapore jurisdiction and a probationary period
Remuneration and conditions: An attractive package will be negotiated with the successful applicant (including relocation expenses and initial accommodation costs) commensurate with qualifications and experience. Candidates should note the relatively lower taxation rates in Singapore and the possibility of an annual wage supplement equal to a month’s salary at the end of the calendar year. All employment salary arrangements are offered in Singapore currency:
Lecturer: SGD82,000 – SGD116,000 per annum
Senior Lecturer: SGD97,000 – SGD137,000 per annum
Associate Professor: SGD126,000 – SGD178,000 per annum
Method of Application
Applications should provide all of the following in order to be considered:
- up-to-date CV including research record
- full statement of qualifications
- statement systematically addressing Selection Criteria
- teaching profile
- recent teaching evaluations
Applications without any of the above will not be considered.
Please state the position and reference number you are applying for in subject header and send your application via https://careers.jcu.edu.sg/cw/en/listing
Closing Date: 30 August 2020