The Singapore campus of James Cook University is fully owned by James Cook University Australia, which is ranked in the top 2%* of universities in the world. James Cook University Australia established its Singapore campus in 2003 as part of its expressed intent of internationalising its activities and offers a suite of university level programs at the Singapore campus covering the areas of Business, Information Technology, Psychology, Education, Accounting, Arts, Aquaculture, Environmental Science, Games Design, Tourism and Hospitality.
James Cook University offers Higher Degree by Research programs# such as Doctor of Philosophy, Master of Philosophy and pathways to a higher degree. Additionally, the campus offers courses at the pre-university level, specifically designed to provide pathways for students who are unable to immediately meet university entrance standards.
The campus is growing and very friendly and academic staff across the disciplines and administrative staff often interact. At any time, there are students on campus from at least 40 different countries, mainly from the region, but also including a growing cohort from Europe. Singapore is an interesting place to live and provides easy access to other countries in the region. The position offers the successful applicant the opportunity to expand their cultural experience, live in a fascinating and exciting city. Please visit http://www.jcu.edu.sg or http://www.jcu.edu.au for more information.
This is a full-time position commencing in March or at a suitable trimester in 2022. This assignment also includes curriculum development, participation in the shared governance process through work in normal professional activities, committee work, and student activities. The teaching assignment may average at about 350 hours a year. The assignment may be day, evening, weekend or on-line and is subject to change as needed. Faculty positions offer the opportunity to assist a diverse group of international students in achieving their educational goals.
*Top 300 Universities in the world. ARWU 2021 | THE World Rankings 2022
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer for Economic and International Trade*
(Appointment starts in September 2022)
*The level of the position offered will be determined by the interview panel.
We offer an Economics degree in the Bachelor of Economics, an Economics Major in the Bachelor of Commerce, and electives or core subjects in the MBA program. The successful appointee is expected to contribute to the teaching and research efforts of the University, in disciplines related to Economics and International Trade. More specifically, this would include an ability to teach a range of subjects including micro/macroeconomics, international economics, econometrics, trade policy, trade negotiations, and/or trade law. Interests in PhD student supervision and ability to build relations with industry and community partners to enrich student learning experience will be favourably viewed. A strong teaching and research profile will be an advantage
- A leadership role in research training and development.
- Supervision of postgraduate research projects.
- Supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students engaged in course work.
- Research, including, where appropriate, leadership of a large research team.
- Significant contribution to the profession, and/or discipline.
- Mentorship of junior academic staff.
Key Selection Criteria:
- A Ph.D. in relevant discipline. ABDs may also apply
- Evidence of quality teaching and supervision of students at under- and postgraduate levels.
- The ability to teach across a range of subjects at various levels.
- While this role will emphasize teaching duties at first, active contribution to Research is welcome and opportunities to move to a more balanced teaching/research workload are possible.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relations with colleagues in an academic environment and with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Evidence of creating a superior student industry experience and engagement
- Course coordination and subject development experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Agile with digital learning platforms and technologies
Enquiries: Dr K. Thirumaran, Academic Head Business l Email: email@example.com l Telephone: +65-67093716
Employment type: Fulltime position subject to Ministry of Manpower Singapore jurisdiction and a probationary period
Remuneration and conditions: An attractive package will be negotiated with the successful applicant (including relocation expenses and initial accommodation costs) commensurate with qualifications and experience. Candidates should note the relatively lower taxation rates in Singapore and the possibility of an annual wage supplement equal to a month’s salary at the end of the calendar year. All employment salary arrangements are offered in Singapore currency.
Lecturer: SGD 79 000 per annum - 122 000 per annum
Senior Lecturer: SGD 107 000 per annum - SGD150 000 per annum
Method of Application
Applications should provide all of the following in order to be considered:
- Up-to-date CV
- All qualifications addressing the Selection Criteria
- Teaching profile and recent teaching evaluations
- Contact information of 3 Referees
Applications without any of the above will not be considered.
Please send your application via https://careers.jcu.edu.sg/cw/en/listing
Closing Date: 11 February 2022
We thank you for your interest and regret we are only able to notify shortlisted candidates. The University reserves the right to invite applications or, alternatively, not to make an appointment.
The Singapore campus of James Cook University (registered as James Cook University Pte Ltd in Singapore) is a wholly owned company of James Cook University Australia.